Co-sponsored by Macomb County Community Mental Health
Scott Fishman, MD
Chief of Pain Medicine
Vice chair for Pain Medicine & Faculty Development
UC Davis Medical Group
Dr. Scott Fishman is continuing his educational and research activities in chronic pain, cancer pain management, psychiatric issues of chronic illness and pain, neuropathic pain treatment strategies and medical informatics.
Dr. Fishman will discuss the process of prescribing opioid pain medications for those with existing substance use disorders and/or mental health issues.
- Patient evaluation and risk stratification
- Development of treatment plan and goals
- Informed consent and patient responsibilities
- On-going monitoring and periodic drug testing
- Consultation and referral
- Discontinuing opioid therapy
- Compliance with controlled substance laws and regulations